In this one-day hands-on workshop, we’re going to have a close look at ggplot2, a widely used R package that implements the so-called grammar of graphics. Its concise and consistent syntax allows you to create high-quality data visualisations in a quick and iterative manner that are suitable for both exploration and communication.
By the end of this workshop you’ll have a solid understanding of the grammar of graphics and how to create data visualisations in R for your daily work. But beware: there’s a good chance you will want to learn more about R.
What you’ll learn
- Master the fundamentals of data visualisation and their use in the grammar of graphics
- Learn the kinds of visualisations that are applicable for each data type
- Explore bar charts, line plots, scatter plots, histograms, and boxplots
- Customize axis scales, facets, colour mappings and other aspects
- Discover ways to customise visualisations using fonts, colors, and themes
This workshop is for you because
- You want to efficiently communicate your analysis results to decision makers
- You want to develop attractive and useful graphs and charts
- You’ve been visualising data using Excel and want to learn to how to do it programmatically
- You want to correctly use data visualization techniques to better explore your datasets
- You’ve used ggplot2 a couple of times but would like a better understanding of the underlying fundamentals
- Motivating examples of ggplot2
- A layered grammar of graphics
- Under the hood of layers
- Statistical transformations
- Coordinate systems
- Implementing your house style as a theme
- Noteworthy extensions of ggplot2
- Network visualisations
- Geographical visualisations
- Where to go from here?
You’re expected to have some experience with programming in R and RStudio. Our workshop Introduction to Programming in R is one option that can help you with that.
Participants are kindly requested to have the following items installed prior to the start of the workshop:
- R version 4.0 or later
- RStudio v1.3 or later
- The latest versions of the following R packages, by running:
install.packages(c("tidyverse", "ggrepel"), dependencies = TRUE)
About your instructor
Jeroen is an RStudio Certified Instructor who enjoys visualizing data, building machine learning models, and automating things using either Python, R, or Bash. Previously, he was an assistant professor at Jheronimus Academy of Data Science and a data scientist at Elsevier in Amsterdam and various startups in New York City. He is the author of Data Science at the Command Line. Jeroen holds a PhD in machine learning from Tilburg University and an MSc in artificial intelligence from Maastricht University.
We’ve previously delivered this workshop at:
Photos and testimonials
“Data Science Workshops organised for KPN a ten-week course on Data Science with R. The combination of training, on-site coaching, and remote support ensured that our analysts are applying the new knowledge and skills in their daily projects. For instance, they’re now capable to implement complex predictive models using R. We’re looking forward to the follow-up course on Advanced Machine Learning.”